Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Quick Update - Having to Go Different Route

The Interferon side effects were a nightmare.  Worst headache of your life, nausea that repeated doses of Zofran wouldn't even touch, 102 fever, shaking chills...you get the picture.  Maybe someone could muddle through (I honestly don't know how with symptoms like his) by knowing that there was a big payoff at the end, but not so with interferon for melanoma.  Here are a couple of articles that explain it better than I can:


http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/cgi/content/full/10/9/739

http://skincancer.about.com/od/treatmentoptions/a/ifn_debate.htm

Scott and I are both at peace about stopping the Interferon treatment.  His oncologist wants to now do radiation on the armpit where the melanoma showed up, and then we'll move forward with trying to find where trials of the vaccine are being done.   Several people have suggested a consult with MD Anderson in Houston, where they have an entire department devoted to melanoma...and I'm checking to see what our insurance will cover.  Feverishly trying to become educated on the nutritional aspect as well so we can make big changes in diet.

There are days when my own back is screaming at me so loudly that I can't stand to sit at the computer long enough to get an update typed out...and my plantar fasciitis has flared back up for some reason.  We'd make an interesting pair to watch if we ever made it out the front door. :)  This said so you know that updating our friends and loved ones is always on my mind but sometimes just can't get done.  Keep us in your prayers, please. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going grocery shopping the morning of the 1st, so if you need me to get you anything or want to tag-a-long, let me know.

Kim said...

Sorry it was so bad! We'll be praying for the right thing to do and the right drs to do it. Ditto on here if you need anything.

barb said...

Christy,
I have been following and reading every update you send, but alas, my lack of courage prevents me from commenting. I never know quite what to say to my friends and family who are going through such horrible trials. Maybe just the fact that I am sending a virtual hug and saying a very heartfelt prayer to God on your family's behalf will bring a tiny bit of comfort. I cannot express how my heart goes out to you and is with you right. If you need anything at all, you know how to reach me. Facebook is a lovely thing, wouldn't you agree? Please tell Scott that he is in my deepest prayers for wisdom, strength, courage, stamina.....all the things he may feel he lacks right now. Our Lord has them all and will impart those traits and qualities each day to him.....and you....and your wonderful kids. Love you, barb

Tamara Massey said...

I know you havent heard from me, but I have been following and reading every update as well. When I read Barb's message above she stated exactly what I was trying to put into words. I spoke with a nurse that I work with in kingfisher who was an oncology nurse at cancer care associates and has administred interferon. She said she would LOVE to visit with you. Let me know if you want her phone number. Miss you guys terribly. My heart is saddened with all of this. Abbey is quite the writer...just like her mom! Love all of you, Tamara

Pam said...

Keep trusting your instincts and letting your faith guide your decisions. There is no wrong decision --you just do the best you can with what you have to deal with at the time. (Just another Pam theory.) Tell Scott that I hope he is well enough to play scrabble soon!

Oh and for the plantar fascitis ... do you have a pair of Sketchers shape-ups? I have heard they are really good for it. Expensive, but super cushioned so it helps with the pain. I have a pair for walking and love them but don't have that condition.

Morgan said...

Hi!
I'm so sorry your husband had to stop interferon! I hated HATED the first week and a half. Worst thing we've been through. Thank goodness the end of week 2 has been much better. I would love to hear if you do talk to MD Anderson...we have read lots of things from there.

What kind of diet changes are you doing? We tried the alkaline diet for a while. Haha...some people say it helps, others say it doesn't. Most doctors we have talked to say it wont help with melanoma...but we're open for anything and everything!

I hope radiation goes better! It's so nice to know that at least it's not in his body anymore, right?