Sunday, August 15, 2010

Home Sweet Home - but oh, that hotel bed was heavenly!

I typed a bit during our flight home...and then finished it just a minute ago:
In the skies above Texas as I type. Noticing that if I worked in the oil industry, it’d be very similar to the tech industry...80% male. Not complaining. Just noticing. It was news to me that private flights had flight attendants. I’m tellin ya…this is the way to go – no dilly dallying – if everyone’s present, then the plane takes off and away you go!  No celebrities this time, darnit. Ben/Jen would be hard to top, celebrity speaking…hmmm….Branjelina, maybe? I’ll promise to get a pick with Brad if that happens. That way I won’t have any of you squawkin about the picture next time. ;)

Our experience with MD Anderson was as great as people said it would be. It’s an overwhelming place, but they operate like a well-oiled machine. But not well-oiled just for the sake of being well-oiled. I think we’ve all experienced being on the consumer end – medical, commercial, whatever -- where operations can silently take precedence over all else, and an occasional-to-frequent ‘stepping on of souls’ is tolerated or even mundane. Every employee (at least the ones we encountered) were what I’d call a ‘quality’ individual…even down to hotel staff. People are just pretty friendly in general there – even on the streets. Sorry, Northerner friends, but the south can’t be beat for its hospitality. ;)

As I’d mentioned before, MD has its own melanoma clinic. We didn’t see anyone below an R.N. rank (no offense to my LPN/MA friends o’ course…jus sayin). First we saw the doctor’s RN, then a ‘fellow’ M.D. (also melanoma specialist) who did the bulk of the physical exam, then dr., who's also the head of the melanoma dept. (Everyone under the age of mmm...33, I'd guess. ;) We are officially on the 'watch and wait' path now.  His Houston oncologist agreed that interferon was not a good fit for Scott.  The only other option of proactive things 'to do' to lesson chances of recurrence was the possibility of getting in to a clinical trial for one of the vaccines.  This was a 'no' answer.  We already knew that he had missed one trial because of not knowing about it...needed to be certain amnt of weeks from first surgery.  Other possibility was a 'no' because Scott is not technically "interferon naive".  This one doesn't allow a candidate to have had any interferon treatment - and Scott's one day makes him no longer 'interferon naive'. (low growl.)  That would've been nice to know...definitely would have been a factor in the whole interferon decision.  So my heartfelt suggestion would be to anyone dealing with an aggressive cancer diagnosis:  Get your second opinion at some kind of teaching hospital, with a clinic that has a specialty in what you're dealing with, if at all possible.  And if you're not sure where that would be, email me and I'll help you research it.  Seriously. :)

So we're moving forward with just keeping a super vigilant eye on Scott.  (Can you believe the Houston docs were the first ones to give him a head-to-toe skin exam?)  We'll need to find a dermatologist here in town, and then we go back to Houston for whole-body scans again in three months....(and at 3-month intervals after that.)  The Houston oncologist is considered 'his doctor' until further notice.

So overall, it was priceless to have Scott leave with the lifted spirits of feeling very confident and 'taken care of' by the new doctors.  I don't know if you've ever seen it, but MD Anderson's logo is genius -- and it's on every white coat you see in the building.   It's their name -- M.D. Anderson Cancer Center -- with the word "cancer" crossed out.  Fabulous idea!!

Thank you to every single one of you for just reading this blog, for your prayers, for financial help, for meals, for hotel points.....we are so thankful for every single thing.  I'll keep you posted!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christy, when Abbey shared the news the other day, I had tears of joy!! I can't tell you how excited I was! I've been praying for you guys a bunch and will continue to do so!! I'm praising God for awesome answered prayers!!!

Love,
Donetta

Kim said...

It sounds like you are in good hands - the hands of the Father & the hands of capable Drs that care. We are so thankful for this. Still praying...

Christy said...

Thank you, Kim and Donetta :) Blessed to have such sweet ladies as interceders. :)

Morgan said...

I am so so so happy to read this last post!! I have really been waiting ever so patiently {or un-patiently} to hear about clinical trials, and if we {your hubby and my hubby haha} would qualify etc.
I would like to mention that I am very happy that "we" {speaking for hubby's} would also qualify for the "watch and wait" treatment. I don't know why, maybe it's because in my mind, if the doctors say that that is a viable option, it must be a good sign and we must be in a pretty solid "don't freak out" group. Even if that's not the case, I like to think it is so we can go on living.
We just finished up the 4 weeks of interferon which were horrible. We have an appt today to talk about the next 11 months. Unfortunately there isn't much solid evidence that says the next 11 months helps much if at all so that makes things hard. On one hand, I want him to do as much as he can, on the other, I don't want him to be sick/feeling crummy/low quality of life etc for the next year! Especially if it doesn't necessarily do anything. So we will find out today. If you have heard of anything, please PLEASE let me know. I know you and I will both continue forever on melanoma research.
PS way jealous that your doctor now is one at MD Anderson....seriously, I may end up forcing Chris to do the same, just so he can be taken good care of.

Thank you for your blogs....I like thinking that I'm not the only one on earth going through this :)
-Morgan

Christy said...

Morgan! I'm so glad you posted! And I'm so sorry for not commenting on your last post sooner. I'll beg you not to interpret my lack of follow thru in getting back with you as any kind of indication of how often I think of you guys and how often I read YOUR blog! :) But I'm learning through all of this how much the teensiest of someone's kind actions means...even just someone out-of-the-blue Facebooking you....the time they took just to stop and say hello...means so much. So I'm trying to listen to the little whispers God gives me and obey more frequently. ;)

Now that we've seen the MDA drs, the thought of going thru with the 'watch and wait' option under the care of his previous docs makes me weak at the knees. But you just don't know what you don't know....and I'm having to learn to trust God even more...because it's impossible to have every single base covered...especially when you don't even know what all the bases are. ;)

Soooo glad your hubby is ending the first month...and so hope the subQ interferon is easier for him. Believe me -- none of it is 'easy' and I shouldn't even use that word. But you know what I mean. I'm interested to hear from you about that.

I can't remember from memory...but it seems like you guys are near/planning on/or have been to someplace like MDA. If I'm not dreaming that, and/or if you're interested, I would LOVE to help you get connected with the sources we used to help us with flights and ground transportation once there. There are people willing to help...you just have to work a bit to find them sometimes.

'Friend Request' me on Facebook...I'd love to chat more! Thank you for speaking up!! :)