Monday, August 2, 2010

Houston, We Have an Appointment!

Okay....I promise I was totally planning on dragging myself outta the mullygrubs and making a new post, but since we do have some noteworthy news, perhaps my blogging won't be quite as mullygrub-ish. :)

We got a call today from MD Anderson (cancer specialty hospital out of U. of Texas in Houston) and we have a consult appt next week!  I'd never, ever had any idea about how this kind of stuff worked -- never crossed my mind that insurance might cover things that were out of state...'cause why on earth would anyone ever go out of state unless you needed an ER while on vacation, or something??  So it was with total cluelessness that I searched our insurance's allowable providers online after looking at MD Anderson's website (check it out...it's fabulously informative) and was elated to figure out that it was a possibility.  We got the ball rolling, and thanks to efficiency, grace, and compassion on their end and Scott's local drs' offices, we have a consult next week.  

The beauty of seeing an oncologist at MD Anderson, with no slight to any of our local providers, is that MD Anderson has an entire department of oncologists dealing specifically with melanoma...probably even docs who specialize in certain stages of the disease.  Docs also have instant access to clinical trial info going on there.  We missed out on a trial, simply by not being aware of it, that involved testing the original tumor tissue; however, that particular trial had to be done w/in a given period of time of his original tumor excision.  You can't get worked up about every missed trial....just citing a benefit of being at a cancer research "hub".

We've also already stumbled onto an organization called Corporate Angel Network that, given available seating, charitably flies cancer patients to MD Anderson on corporate jets!  There's a 'shuttle' that runs from Bartlesville to Houston, Monday thru Friday!   (I'm sure that the Bartlesville-to-Houston run would have to be oil biz....what a fabulous use of empty seats in a corp jet! Who knew?!)  Downside is that you can't find out for sure that you're 'confirmed' until 72 hrs prior to flight -- the execs get first dibs.  We'll also have to pay for our own lodging and meals, of course...but getting there for almost free is brings-tears-to-my-eyes wonderful!  God is good.

One more thing I have to shout about -- our Keystone friends who got together and made a ton of meals for our fam to put in our freezer!!  Oh my goodness....what a fabulous-ity (my word) it is to look on our printed out 'menu' on the fridge and choose a 9x13 meal from the freezer, following the conveniently labeled instructions on each one.   These sweet ladies probably wouldn't want to be blogged about (although the label-makin' ring leader's name rhymes with "Shmeanna") -- and they just couldn't possibly know what a blessing their work has been.

I'll keep you updated on Houston stuff....thank you for the encouragement and prayers.  I'm working on getting an 'add on' to Blogger that lets me respond to each comment specifically.  Thank you, thank you for your sweet words.  xo

6 comments:

barb said...

Uh, such a blessing and a nice "surprise" Christy. MD Anderson is an amazing place. Lifting your family up and sending cyber hugs to all.

love ya'll,
barb

Christy said...

Yes! I hate that there's a need for places like MDAnderson, but what an example of 'beauty for ashes', eh? :) Thank you for your comments, Barb....you've no idea what a source of encouragement they are.

Pam said...

This is really good news -- just knowing that there is a potential option for treatment is good news! I know some people who have been down there in the last couple of years for treatment - maybe they could give advice on where to stay or how best to get around? Let me know via FB if you would like me to find out some details in this regard. Meanwhile, a little prayer: Dear Lord, continue to bless Scott and his family and bring them wisdom, faith and healing.

Anonymous said...

Christy, that is FANTASTIC! It brings tears to my eyes!! I've been praying for you guys and will continue to do so!! Please let me know if there's anything I can ever do to help!

Love ya!!
Donetta

Christy said...

Thank you, girls :)

Anonymous said...

That's awesome news, Christy! Praying for you guys!

Melanie Bernard